Made for this Moment: Nurses on the Frontlines of COVID-19
We will celebrate the pivotal role that nurses have played in managing the pandemic in long-term care settings.
In addition to hearing from physician, Dr. Jonathan Evans, about his lived experience working with nurses on the frontlines of COVID-19, nurse and researcher Barbara Bowers, PhD, will examine the evidence that supports the role of the nurse within the Green House model and how it supports effective management of outbreaks such as COVID-19.
Green House homes are built upon the principle of creating real home. The spaces where life happens in our own homes are the same spaces where life happens in a Green House home. A Shahbaz is an important ingredient in bringing the home to life with shared experiences, meaning, and authenticity. This session will explore how shared experiences are created in Green House homes through the following topics:
- Living Room - Waiting for and entertaining visitors; resident interaction with family, staff, and each other; resident personalization; and other activities, such as sitting by the fireplace and reading
- Dining Room - Convivium, coffee, and a newspaper; games and activities; and staff work areas
- Kitchen - Residents’ visibility; comfort; meal preparation sounds and aromas; resident engagement and therapy; and Shahbazim roles versus traditional staff models
- Den - Resident choice and alternatives; small group programming and activities, including television viewing; staff meetings and care planning; private family visitation and overnight guests
- Porches - Connections to exterior environments with families, visitors, or staff
- Staff Engagement - GHP heroes during the pandemic, staff culture on sites with legacy nursing homes, visitation, and staff spaces
All-private rooms set Green House homes apart from most nursing home environments. It is the most personal and individualized place in the house. There are important features to this building block of the home, but just as in the shared areas of the house, the role of the Shahbaz is paramount to the wellbeing of each resident. This session examines how Shahbazim support dignity, privacy, and choice in Green House homes through the following topics:
- Vestibule - Medication, documentation, supplies, coats, purses, and mobility devices
- Bedroom - Resident control, including lighting, temperature, and views; technology; visitors; therapy; and lifts
- Bathroom - The balance of resident autonomy with resident safety and resident and staff storage features, including floor drains and grab bars
- Insights from COVID-19 – Ceiling lifts and better infection control, personal protection equipment, and sanitization; and individual, mechanically controlled air distribution